Second Reading Journal

Get used to living with Mom and Dad

Living with our parents until a later age is something we may have to get used to. As addressed in this article, the world around us is changing, but not necessarily for the better. As some would find shameful or even embarrassing, living with your parents, surprisingly, might not be such a bad option in order to better adjust to the ever-changing environment. More and more young adults are staying at home after they graduate college since the job market is becoming extremely competitive. Compared to our parents or even our grandparent’s generation, it is not uncommon today that adults move out in their high twenties or even thirties. With the unpredictable future, living at home may become the best financial advice.

What I found interesting in this article was the fact that the United States is considered the “moderate middle” when compared to other countries regarding our educational systems. The United States has an advantage for students living on campus in college when put side by side with Japan, where there are no college dorm rental options. Another fascinating note by the author, which I’ve also noticed and agreed with, describes how women have now taken over in advancing their careers over men. Today, women have excelled greater than men with regards to job opportunities in which men now seem to replace the role of older-generation-females (e.x. being stay-at-home-fathers).

I admire the style of writing this author chose by creating questions as a transition into the next paragraph with supporting statements in-between. What I found clever from this article is when the author widened his view on the subject by not only comparing families within the United States but also venturing off across country comparing the different lifestyles that we may not be accustom to.

Overall I would give this article a thumbs-up as it was very descriptive with supporting details and used a variety of questions and integrated different aspects from around the world.

Karekezi, Alice. “Salon.” Saloncom RSS. N.p., 16 Jan. 2012. Web. 09 Mar. 2014.