First Journal Post

About My Kid

The relationship between Ann Nichols and her son became an emotional roller coaster when her son refused to pursue his education. Ann being a college graduate, along with the rest of her family, gave her son every chance to succeed as he was growing up. However, her son had different plans and wanted to avoid college at all costs to join a Career Center. Devastated, the author learns to accept her son’s career path as she would rather support his decisions then continue to be disappointed and discouraged.

This article struck my attention because its similarity to the relationship I share with my mother. Although currently pursuing my college degree, after high school I did not plan to attend college. However, with the decisions I made, it did not stop my mother from supporting me.

I also can relate to the author as I once quit my higher paying job due to stress relating situations, to work in a stress free environment for lower income.

One input I enjoyed from this article was how the author included an unrealistic situation in the ending passage but essentially summed up her article with an obvious question.

The lead that appealed to me the most was the opening statement about how the author has attempted to accept her child for what he is but manages to sell the reader as she has given up on her child’s decisions but is still able to change the outcome throughout the article.

Overall, I would give this article a thumbs up, as it was easy to understand, along with the ability to relate.

Nichols, Ann. “About My Kid – Ann Nichols – Open Salon.” About My Kid – Ann Nichols – Open Salon. Ann Nichols, 16 Feb. 2012. Web. 09 Mar. 2014.